Govt of India started Swachh Bharat Abhiyan in 2014. To fulfill the objective of the programme to have clean India various allied programmes are included.
Swachh Survekshan League 2020 has been introduced with the objective of sustaining the ground performance of cities along with continuous monitoring of service level performance when it comes to cleanliness
In the Swachh Survekshan League 2020 (SSL 2020) league, parameters pertaining to Wastewater treatment &reuse and fecal sludge management have been given special focus.
Swachh Survekshan League 2020
It will be conducted in 3 quarters, i.e. April- June, July – September, and October- December 2019.
It will have a weightage of 2000 marks for each quarter to be evaluated on the basis of two parameters:
- Monthly updation of SBM-U online MIS by cities.
- Citizen’s validation on the 12 service level progress indicators through outbound calls.
These two parameters will together determine the quarterly ranking of cities. Ranks will be assigned in two categories, namely, cities with a population of one lakh and above and cities with a population of less than 1 lakh.
- The performance of cities in SS League 2020 will be crucial to their ranking in Swachh Survekshan 2020 due to the 25% weightage of the quarterly assessments to be included in the annual survey in January 2020.
- The exercise will cover all ULBs that have come into existence on or before 31 December 2018.
Earlier Swachh Survekshan League
- MoHUA had conducted ‘Swachh Survekshan-2016’ survey for the rating of 73 cities in January 2016, Mysuru emerged as the cleanest city in India
- followed by ‘Swachh Survekshan-2017’ conducted in January-February 2017 ranking 434 cities. Indore emerged as the cleanest city in India
- The third round of Swachh Survekshan in 2018 was a quantum leap of scale – conducted across 4,203 cities in 66 days, and became the largest ever Pan India Sanitation Survey in the world, impacting around 40 crore people. Indore retained the title of the Cleanest City
- The 4th edition covered 4237 cities in a record time of 28 days and was a fully digitized paperless survey. While Indore has retained the title of the Cleanest City in the last three years.
Besides the above measures, 84,000 informal waste pickers have been formally integrated into sustainable livelihoods, 4.6 lakh sanitary workers have been provided medical benefits and more than 1 crore citizens have participated in campaigns through Swachh Manch, 18,329 Garbage Vulnerable Points have been transformed and 345 landfill sites have been remediated. More than 370 cities are practicing segregation at source in more than 80 % of their wards.
Today, the Swachh Survekshan League survey has evolved as a powerful and transparent Mission governance and implementation tool, while giving rise to a spirit of healthy competition among states and cities in their race towards becoming ‘Swachh’.